Monday, March 30, 2009

A pinch of Caveat...

I got super excited yesterday when I thought about this, and after posting it, I started to of course worry that maybe I was overly confident that this will work...

My ooTunes Radio iPhone app DOES work with several thousand windows media audio (wma) streams (those are the format the church uses to stream the audio live) and it works on almost everything that I've tested it on, BUT there's always the possibility that the Church's stream will be somehow different and incompatible with my app. Though unlikely I just thought I should make that clear. However, my app already has several KSL streams as well as the live KBYU streams added so at least for english transmissions, I'm very confident we'll have something. (please let me know if any of your local stations also play conference and if they're not on my master list of ooTunes Radio streams list, I'll test them and add them (the more the merrier!)

I've emailed Tom Welch to ask if he can help clarify the exact bitrate and parameters of the live stream, and maybe provide something live to test it out beforehand.

So, don't make it so you have no other way to listen to conference besides your iphone and my app! That would be like not having enough oil for your lamp :)

Also, in case it wasn't clear the streams will be AUDIO only, no video (this time at least :)

And the April General Conference Streams in the list now are just placeholders (that is they won't play anything yet) but they'll be updated to point to the live streams as soon as they are available.